Saturday, May 23, 2009

I'm Queen of Arts & Letters for a Day





























The blog award (top, right) from Cassandra couldn't have come at a more perfect time. Another special delivery arrived today, and I actually do feel like a queen. My long-awaited copy of the July issue of Romantic Homes magazine was in my mailbox, and I nearly unbound the thing looking for the From Your Pen column and my article about my mother's Fiesta ware collection. The article was finished back in October, and I've been waiting for what seems like forever to see it in print. (That's page 76 if you're playing along at home). It's my first nationally-published article, and for a journalist who cut all of her teeth on print media- and not digital or virtual- it is the ultimate achievement. Well, as far as articles go. We won't talk about the great American novel. Yet.
In the very same mailbox was my artist's copy of Somerset Studio Gallery, summer issue, and as fat as it is, it seemed like that also took forever- flipping through page after gorgeous page to find my artwork. I knew I had a Marie Antoinette assemblage in the issue (p. 89) and after more flipping, I discovered a second piece of my Marie art on p. 39.
Seeing myself published never gets old. I wonder if it does for other folks? I can't imagine ever taking that validation for granted. As writing is my first love, and was my first vocation, getting an article published nationally means more than I can say. And as I love my editor- I mean I really love my editor- I owe him a debt of gratitude also, for paring down my word count from Britannica to Wikipedia size.
But as art is my newest love, seeing my works published takes on extra significance. I wonder if those artists who have been published many times over let go of the feelings of self-doubt and wondering if their works will be understood? My goal is to find out.
So, I readily accept Cassandra's "Queen for the Day" award, and pass it on to a couple of art friends who also have publication goals: Ann-Denise Anderson of Whim & Fancy Designs who has a book in her head, and Michelle Geller of Hold Dear, who has Somerset in hers.

13 comments:

malin said...

Well, I do look forward to having your page as well - it´s gorgeaus! This must be the best kind of swaps, because I know I´ll get pages from all of the participants! I´m sort of in two Marie swaps - our 4x4 one, of course, but then I´m hosting a Chunky pages PAT on atcsforall.com, nd my chosen theme was of course Marie Antoinette, so I´ve recieved ten fabulous pages of her (as you saw), but I made ten completely different pages - the themes included orange, fairytale, oriental and unicorns. Fun - I love doing PATs!
I would absolutley love to do a chunky trade with you! And since I´m really into those pretty girls at the moment (watching Suzi Blu have so inspiring!), I´d love to make you one (or two or three...). I have chunky books with Marie Antoinette, those "pretty girls" à la Suzi Blu, Alice in Wonderland, and my newest will be an Amélie from Montmartre book (yes, more French stuff!), so anything to go with those would be wonderful.

malin said...

To edit my last comment - I´m sure your Marie page WILL BE gorgeaus! Because I haven´t seen anything yet... Oh, and I do hope we don´t get more players - I´ve painted 19 pages, more players, and I have to do more...

Cassandra said...

Oh wow congrats on your work being published! I will have to take a look, and thanks for stopping by to join in on my giveaway!

Sarcy said...

Wow! You go!

m i c h e l l e said...

Oh Gina!!! I'm SOOO happy for you!!! Published in TWO notable magazines! Such sweet pieces and if we talked about it, I completely forgot about your mother's Fiesta ware collection! I so love mine, even if it is all the new stuff. :-)

Thank you so much for the blog award! I'm still working towards those goals so thanks for the nod!

Super big hugs to you,
Michelle

PS...OHMYSTARS...I spaced about connecting with you to do a Moo swap! Let's do that! :-)

malin said...

Hey, sorry, I´ve been on AFA for so long, I think everybody knows all the words... A PAT is a Pick-A-Theme swap. In my PAT, I had four groups, six persons in each group, and everybody chooses a theme, and then the other ones in their group paints for them in that theme. So in every group of six, you make five different themed chunkies (or atcs). It´s a lot of fun, and it really stretches you as an artist.

I think that swapping five 4x4s sounds like a good idea. I did a monochromatic chunky swap with a girl (well, I´m still waiting for mine - Maries, of course), and it was a lot of fun. So let´s do that, a girlie 4x4 trade! I´m out of chunky blanks at the moment, I hope they will arrive next week, so I´ll get working on yours next weekend. Sounds good?

Joanne Huffman said...

Well deserved honots. Congratulations!

Joanne

Beverly Ash Gilbert said...

You crazy woman! I think this makes you Queen of the Month at least!!! Congratulations on all fronts - your art, your writing, your gumption to get out there.

Well done!

Retro Cafe' Art Gallery said...

Oh, a BIG congrats to you Gina!!!!!
I need to get on the ball and start submitting again. It never does get old I don't think!
xoxo,
Kristin

B said...

Wikipedia size? My dear, there is much training left to do :-) Seriously, I really did enjoy reading it and doing much less editing than you are claiming. Writers never forget how to write.

Sandy Michelle said...

Oh CONGRATS on both publications!I have to get a hold of the Romantic Homes article you wrote! I never get tired of having something of mine published- either :) I'm so happy to be in Somerset Sew this month!!

Sand

malin said...

I just wanted to let you know, that I´ve finished two of your pages, and if my inpiration doesn´t leave me, I hope to finish the rest this weekend.

malin said...

Yes, five 4x4 girls of any kind. No, no special requests - I know you´ll make some lovely pages!