Friday, August 1, 2008

American Teen is a Smash! Filmed at my kids' high in school in Warsaw, Indiana



(Note: to play trailer, first hit the 'stop' button on my playlist at bottom, to 'stop the music.')

This is pretty surreal to see, and I am sure even more surreal for the kids who are in it, and their parents. My son, who will be a senior this fall, grew up with all these kids- went to the baby sitter with one of the stars, dated extensively one of the others. I worked as PR Director for this school system for five years, so I'm pretty partial to it for a lot of reasons. It is just incredibly exciting that this documentary won the Sundance Film Festival documentary award, and having opened nationwide July 25, the film is getting rave reviews. It IS the next "Breakfast Club." I saw comments on YouTube when I grabbed this trailer that speculated this was all acting or "fake." Well, I can guarantee you, dear reader, it is all unscripted. We, as parents, received letters and permission slips about it, and at the time, which was about two years ago, never dreamed anything would come of it except a "scientific study" of teenagers. It is still that, for sure, but it is much more. You simply must see it! Nanette Burstein is the genius behind this.

7 comments:

Maija said...

That looks like a fabulous documentary! I'll have to see it so I can have a peak inside the mind of my senior!

Anonymous said...

I loved the breakfast club! hehe I am hosting a new swap called the Witches Cupboard! you should come by and check it out! I would love to have you join this one! hugs

toodles-
sarah

Joanne Huffman said...

I just read a very good review of this movie. I'll have to try to see it when it comes to Kalamazoo.

Joanne

Heidi said...

How exciting Gina!
I would imagine it would be very surreal - I think I will have to check this one out - Hope all is well in your world :)

Jessi Nagy said...

oohh this looks wonderful. my kids just watched the trailer with me. they said it looks really good.
when does it come out???
will it go mainstream??

hey are you coming to silver bella???

oxoxox,
jessi

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Gina, how exciting! I watched the whole thing and I'm ready to see it! It looks fantastic! How fun.

Mrs.Kwitty said...

Isn't that wonderful! I am going to make sure to see that, it looks great. How fun that it happened at your kids' school.
Smiles, Karen