Friday, June 26, 2009

C'est bien! Marie Antoinette book pages are done













Several days of staging went into these 17 hand-drawn, hand-painted all original 4" x 4" fat book pages for the Marie Antoinette Mail Art group collaborative book. As I explained in my other posts here and here, I first prepped the backgrounds and then I put in the faces with pencil and tissue paper and then acrylic paint and molding medium.
The last two days I drew in the facial features, painted those, highlighted the hair with silver leaf and gold leaf and glitter, added metal as well as rub-on curlicues, punched holes, set rivets and attached assorted fibers. I also signed and dated all the backs and silverleafed the edges.
Something still didn't feel 'right' or done until I came up with the idea for the mask/opera glasses, an accessory with which Marie Antoinette is often portrayed. I sprayed the tiny sticks gold. Designed and cut masks out of black construction paper, glued sets together with the stick in the middle, punched eye holes, added rhinestone and glitter pen embellishments and tied the mask stick to the fibers. Voila! Now Marie can go to the ball, and I can mail my pages off to Tennessee to our hostess, Rhonda. What a gorgeous book this is going to be!
Now, on to my paper mache project.


No comments: