Saturday, May 17, 2008

Some New Art & A Little More Circus





Although I have a gazillion specific projects due, from book reviews to hand-made book pages, I just wanted to play last night. Okay, so my idea of playing on Friday night is staying home in the basement and maybe getting pizza delivered. But, it also means getting paint all over and making art. I figured I'd better try some techniques from Art & Soul before I unlearn them. So "Fashion Victim" was created on an 11 x 14 canvas out of acrylic paint, magazine collage, marker and beeswax a la Anne Grgich. The entire canvas is covered with bits of paper before painting and making into something else. Oh yeah, the entire canvas is also covered with glue, lots of glue. That is her technique, in fact, to make an color-washed "ice rink" to move around the papers by mixing coffee with cream and PVA glue. You can use the glue to protect images you want to keep, and then paint or collage over the rest. Then the glue dries clear, and voila! There are your images again.
The 8 x 10 painted canvas is called "Spring in My Soul." I just love bright colors and wanted to try a sponging technique as well as granular gel medium to make the flowering trees. The garden stroller might be me; haven't decided. Her dress is paint, collage, charcoal, gel pen, tissue paper, beeswax and a piece of a vintage earring. I can't explain it. I just like it.
The next art adventure, making circus book pages, had to wait until today. Some more circus ephemera arrived in the mail, including more vintage popcorn bags and tickets- enough to make 28 all-original 5" x 5" book pages for The Faerine Zine's circus book. I took a break in the middle of those to inspect my outside flowers and take some pictures. Have to find a suitable spot for some outdoor prom pictures tonight. Must plan ahead, as 17-year-old boys are not patient.

7 comments:

SUZAN BUCKNER said...

WOW GINA!!!!! Your blog is fabulous, and you are doing some great things!!!

Congrats on all of it!! I am so happy that you went to Art & Soul..I am thinking about breaking down and going next year!!

Way to GO girl!!
Hugs!!
Suzan

Lilli in Vancouver said...

I Love "Spring in my Soul" :)

random notes said...

The fashion victim technique that you learned sounds like so much fun and YOUR piece is awesome. Love checking in on your blog.
Jane

Lori said...

your collages are fabulous!!! and i just love your blog banner, it is so cute:)
have fun making your circus book pages!!!

Joanne Huffman said...

You certainly had a productive art evening. I love the collage and the painting.

Joanne

Mrs.Kwitty said...

Busy, busy, busy!! Everything looks great--the art is fantastic and your flowers are so pretty! AND how excited are you about your son and the PROM? !!
Smiles, Karen

Simply Organized 4 Life & Koaching by Kimberly said...

Those are really great pieces. You and I have the same concept of "playing". My idea of playing is to sit in my studio, turn the music on, put on my glasses, pour a glass of wine for inspiration, and put the pedal to the metal. I really like your art.
Kimberly
www.kimberleekreations.blogspot.com