Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Home Sweet Home









So who receives adorable and great swap artwork from friends and sticks it in a drawer for a year? Okay, guilty. But rarely do I not find a way to display my swap treasures. In this case I had high hopes of finding tiny hinges to attach this row of an artist's dozen of matboard houses I received in Jeri Aaron's Row House Swap last spring. I would look at them wistfully, actually not in a drawer, but in my art supply cupboard slash armoire slash entertainment center slash holding spot.
Finally, I gave up on hinges and used that master of all adhesives: duct tape. The top two photos show the 11 houses I received plus one of my own, now on display in my studio. The bottom two photos show some of the houses I made and sent for this fun swap- one of my favorites ever.
I almost didn't join the swap because I don't have a good cutting tool for matboard and had visions of the very crooked B- mats I had cut in my art class in college back in the day. But like a hostess with the mostess, Jeri offered to cut out the house shapes for me in exchange for a trade of western US ephemera (old postcards and such) which I sent to her. So it was a win-win.
Jeri hosts wonderful art retreats in Texas and other areas, including the Smokey Mountains this fall. Check out her Artful Gathering blog for more info and lots of great art!

4 comments:

Jeri said...

I am so glad you have finally found time to set up a display for your houses. I love those things and would dearly love to have another swap! Lovely art here Gina!

Sarcy said...

Those houses are so quaint. I don't know how you fit all this creativity in along with working and traveling.

You can borrow any Ike pics you'd like. Amy has some of him at the office up on her blog.

Rebecca Ramsey said...

What fun! I love that neighborhood!

malin said...

They look wonderful! I wish I could have my chunky books out in the open - unfortunately, my cat is much to interested in all of those dangly things... Perhaps someday I´ll hang a shelf very high on the wall, so I can have those beauties out in the open...