Sunday, January 25, 2009

Postess with the Mostess. Squee!














Everything thing about this post makes me squeal with delight. In fact, I have been on cloud nine for the last 12 hours, barely stopping to sleep. I AM the postess with the mostess, simply because I feel like the luckiest blogger in the world, well, the www world anyway.
Yesterday I happened upon Altered Art Circus by Lisa Kettell at Barnes and Noble (Quarry Books, 2009, ISBN-13:978-1-59253-487-6; or on Amazon). I say 'happened' because I wasn't expecting to find it on the shelf yet. The publication date has been February 2009 for about the last year and a half, or ever since the author, Lisa Kettell of The Faerie Zine, invited me to submit a piece of art for the book's gallery.
At the time I started making this 3D sculpture representative of Marie Antoinette, my intent was to make Lisa a gift for all her work in our art group. I don't think I even knew then the book had a circus theme, or certainly I would have drawn on my great love for circus art! Nevertheless, I made the 18" 'Marie' in one day, and sent her east to live with Lisa. I never really believed the piece would make it into the book- either because of some mail disaster only I would experience or because it was edited out for being "no good." Every artist has those thoughts, especially one who has never been published in a real book until now. A 'real' magazine, yes. 'Real' books published via Blurb or Lulu, yes. But a real publishing house with a real editor (who didn't cut out my picture)? C'est Magnifique!
Here's a couple more links to my other Marie figures here and here. I have one still for sale on etsy, and I sent the rest off last summer in hopes of finding their way into Stampington's new Marie Antoinette magazine.
But as for being in Lisa's book, I am over the moon! And I share the Gallery with so many wonderful art friends like Bella and Wanda and Ann-Denise. And I share my page with the inimitable DeBriNa Pratt of Spark*Your*Imagination. Thank you again Lisa!
Another great art friend who roams these same circles is Viv Neroni of New York. Out of the blue (and I say that because I haven't been reading everyone's blogs as faithfully as I should) Viv sent me the most darling pin-keep (above), which I won in a contest on her blog. Viv and I swapped goodies once before. She makes the most darling tiny felted bears and paper clay figures and posts the most delicious photos on her blog. Viv is also Violet's 'new mom.' Violet is of the Blythe persuasion, and I only now realized 'V' is the perfect letter. No wonder Viv kept Violet's name after 'adopting' her.
The 'beady' looking photo (top) is a work-in-progress. It's starting with stringing assorted tiny seed beads from a bead soup by Beverly Gilbert of Gilbert Designs in Washington. I met Beverly at Art & Soul, Portland, in October and made two pendants in her class. It is tiny work that requires reading glasses and a task light. See that sliver of a curved beading needle? It's a wonder I can string anything. This strand so far is sort of a freeform Peyote stitch, which I am glad to have finally learned. It really is easy.
I'm planning to use the strand when fully-formed to encase either a 'jingle' shell as shown above or a piece of beach glass or some other shell and a tiny starfish, and that will form a pendant just like the amber one I made at A&S. But, shhhh! Don't tell. It's going to be a gift for someone special who favors shells.

13 comments:

Lilli in Vancouver said...

Congratulations Gina! I'd be over the moon too! Love the originality and cheeriness of your work.

Keep jumping for joy :)

vivian said...

I love the title for this post! how fitting! I'm so glad you like your pinkeep. originally you were getting something christmasy, but I took so long that christmas just wasnt appropriate anymore!
I was just in barnes and noble only a couple of hours ago.. never even thought to look for lisas book! I did get a copy of "stuffed" and another somerset issue.. (cant remember which one!)
ok.. girlfriend.. my feet are freezing.. time to get a bowl of cereal and curl up with a book and jasper and americas funny home videos! (love that show.. makes me laugh so hard sometimes!!)
hugs!!
vivian

Joanne Huffman said...

Well deserved Congratulations! How impressive to be in a book. And, by the way, I love the beading!

Joanne

Beverly Ash Gilbert said...

Gina!
You are the Mostess! Congratulations on your immortalized Marie. Love her colors and feathers.

Would love to see your Beachcomber pendant when you are finished!

Beverly

Ann-Denise Anderson said...

Gina!!! I've got to get to the book store!!!! Here I am sitting here on my &*&%$ and the book is out! I can't wait to see it! Oh , how exciting and I too am so happy to be in the book with you and all that other wonderful talent!:)
I hope you are doing well!:)
Hugs, Ann-Denise

Mrs.Kwitty said...

Wowwww!! Good for you...take a bow! Your work is gorgeous and it looks fantastic in that lovely book, I'm so proud of you!
Smiles, Karen

Shabby Cottage Studio said...

Hey Gina congrats! I can just imagine the squeals and happy dance you were doing! Great job.

Retro Cafe' Art Gallery said...

A BIG CONGRATS Gina!!! How cool is that!!!
xoxo,
Kristin

Lori said...

congratulations! i am still waiting to see my copy...i just got one of Viv's needle felts too, a sweet little bird:)

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Congratulations! How exciting!
Yey!

Unknown said...

You must be so proud girl friend! Congratulations! BTW, what did you mean by a Marie Antoinette hijinx?? Yeah I can't wait to see everyone in Phoenix and to get some sun!!

Sand xox

CEDAR JUNCTION said...

Congratulations, Gina. I would be over the moon, too! Lisa's publication is wonderful - lots of eye candy!

smiles,
Teresa

Maija said...

Great post Gina- so full of goodness!