Thursday, August 30, 2007

I Think I Hate My Computer or It Hates Me

So why do I have to be a computer guru to run my blog? I tried to give my blog a fall makeover, with colors, fonts, a new banner, and I feel like I have been trying to hold on to a greased fish, or whatever that saying is.
Some of my art friends are experts, in that they create a lot of their collages and ATCs all via computer, merging or altering vintage images. I cut and paste everything by hand, as probably 50 percent of altered artists do (have become somewhat of a whiz with tiny scissors), but when it comes to my blog and the computer, we aren't really friends.

I know just enough to be dangerous, having used a computer for more than 20 years (yes children, back before there were cell phones and CDs) and having run a newsroom as a managing editor and having received national publication awards. I'm not bragging. I'm just saying this square electronic box shouldn't be so intimidating. But more times than not, it keeps little secrets from me. Just that last tiniest bit of info, code, that final step that would make everything work just right, photos post correctly, layouts come out the right size, etc. The final step is elusive, and I actually think my computer (or fill in the blank here, copier, scanner, camera, etc.) are laughing at me- like playing a game of tug-of-war with a puppy. A snarky puppy.
Having survived a full-out crash this week and struggling to get all my settings back to "normal" might have something to do with this post. Just leave me alone, evil laptop, and let me cut and paste. You do your thing, and I'll do mine.

No comments: