Saturday, October 27, 2007

A Little Side Trip to Saluda






Although I am back home in Indiana from South Carolina, if it were up to me, I'd still be in Saluda, NC. What a wonderful town! Made the stop off I-26 per an article I read in Cloth, Paper, Scissors about a wonderful shop called Random Arts. Wonderful it was! The entire town is an artists' colony, similar to Nashville, IN for those who can picture that equally hilly town.


I could have spent hours in Random Arts. Owner Jane Powell was so nice! We swapped ATCs, took pictures of each other's art and she showed me the latest and greatest. I came home with so many goodies...and left so many behind! She was packed with "stuff." Even all her ribbons were each on vintage bobbins. A bin held tiny pieces of vintage wooden rulers.


And the art! Oh, glorious samples. Incredible drawings and paintings by Jane. Beautiful altered books. Examples of past classes by well-known, published artists. Just a fabulous store!


We had lunch at the Purple Onion. Just missed jazz night by one day. Hit a few other shops and Wildflour Bakery. The hardware in town was something right out of 1950. There were bed and breakfasts all around, and the hills, mountains and foilage were gorgeous. They kept whispering, "stay, stay." All I could say was, "I'll be back."

4 comments:

random notes said...

YOU are amazing at capturing the essence of Saluda. It really is a feeling that you get when you arrive here and it looks like "you got it".
I so enjoyed meeting you & seeing some of your artwork up close and in person. Love Love Love the trading card that you created & I showed if off to some customers today who were in my shop. I have a sneaky feeling that you may be back to visit or maybe even take a class. Thank you so much for telling the entire world about Random Art & our little pocket of creative wonderment in the middle of nowhere in North Carolina. You are so sweet.
Jane Powell
Random Arts
Saluda, NC

Shabby Cottage Studio said...

Oh goodie, you got to Random Arts! I haven't been yet, it's been a long time since I've been to Saluda and R.A. wasn't there at that time. But it's on my list. It is a lovely town isn't it! You lucky girl, looks and sound like you had a lot of fun.

Bettina Makley, aka Fairywebmother. said...

Wow! I'm impressed! Great shots! I'm opening a store, myself, soon, in Wheeling, WV. We hope to carry unusual supplies for creating, as well as our own work. Wheeling is a perfect place because commercial property can still be had inexpensively and it is SUCH a charming town, filled with history and beautiful old buildings. Our dream is to be part of an artists renaissance, here. It has begun and it's been fun watching this area come back to life! So if you're ever in Wheeling, WV...do look me up! :)

Cheryl Prater said...

Hi Gina: I see that you and I share an affinity for NC and RA. That Jane is a HOOT, ain't she?

Maybe our paths will cross there one day. Here's hoping.

Cher