Saturday, October 13, 2007

It is SO Fall in Indiana


Love it! Love it! Love it! Did I mention I love fall? Although we live on a corner lot in a modern subdivision, this is the scene from our back patio: corn, glorious corn, getting harvested by a big red IH combine and into a blue cart attached to a green and yellow (of course) JD tractor which is then augered over into a semi to be hauled off to the grain elevator. I am amazed how much farming terminology I've learned just living here. Twenty years ago I wouldn't have known where to get milk out of a cow! That all sounds so folksy. Actually, I am much more at home in the city, but it is somehow comforting to watch all this and know that some things are still done the "old-fashioned" way.


Inside, the comforts of fall mean lighting candles because it is no longer so hot that even a candle is unwelcome. Today I am hosting a little get-together and had fun making Halloween cupcakes as well as pumpkin cobbler from scratch- served warm with whipped cream, homemade macaroni and cheese with peas and mushrooms, cold cider and assorted cheeses and crackers. Tomorrow means football and chili in the crock pot. Yay!

5 comments:

kris hurst said...

Hi Lilly
Wish I was there for your get together
I'm A foodie so anything homemade is the bestest!!!My email address is krislhurst@aol.com-I would love to do ya a banner-just let me know the details-Kris

Anonymous said...

Hi Gina. Thank you for posting your fall picture. I grew up near Auburn, IN and lived in the country for 23 years, where I always enjoyed watching the farmers harvest our fields. My husband and I then lived in Fort Wayne until about 7 months ago, when we moved to Colorado Springs, CO. Although I love living in CO, I do miss some things about IN and the country....and your picture is one of them! It brought back many memories. Thanks again for sharing!
Michelle M
ferricat@yahoo.com

*Heidi* said...

Hi Gina,
You asked about swaps on Flickr and there's one you might look at, the signs are open until tomorrow... Check out Monica's "Deck the Halls Ornament Swap" at

http://monicaanderson.blogspot.com/2007/10/deck-halls-ornament-swap.html

It could be fun for you!
*Heidi*

Britt- Sparkled Vintage Charm said...

I love fall too :-) thanks for your sweet comment on my blog! xo Britt :-)

Suzan said...

Hi Gina!!

Re: Question on my blog about challenges--You can post anytime throughout the week on any of them.
My favorite of course is Twisted Tuesdays..LOL..because it's mine!

I really like Inspire Me Thursday though. The rest--sometimes they rock..sometimes they don't..LOL..I guess I love them all!!

Thank you for visiting my blog!!

Suzan